Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Search for Peggy and Tabitha


If you want to see why most genealogists are (a) nuts and (b) addicted to this stuff, take a look at this.

There was a fella named John Ziba Hardee, supposedly born about 1782, probably in Pitt County, NC. John Ziba's oldest boy was Joel, born in 1814, in (I guess) Baldwin County, GA. Joel's baby boy was John Hamp, born in 1846. John Hamp named his first two children Robert and James. John Ziba also named a son Bryant.

Ok - now watch this... There was a fella named James Brooks, born in 1783. James, as well as his offspring, had a tendency to give "J-names" to his sons. He had a son, Joel, born in 1803 - and Joel Brooks' oldest child was John H. James Brooks also had a son named James, born in 1818 - who had sons named Bryant, b. 1843, and Robert, b. 1845.

...and these people are ALL - by this time, living in and around Baldwin County, Georgia and moving over to Monroe County, Alabama... yep... its gonna get sticky...

You're not crazy yet? Ok - no problem... here's another "dose"... take a look at THIS!!!

We have 4 Brooks Brothers to look at... Benjamin Franklin Brooks, b. 1789-ish, married Priscilla Sawyer in - guess where? - Baldwin County, Georgia! Brother 2: John Sawyer Brooks, b. 1796, married (hold onto your hat) Rebecca Mitchell. Brother 3: Samuel Brooks married - guess who? - Lucy Amanda Mitchell. Brother 4: William married Sarah, but I don't know anything about them.

...and along comes John Ziba Hardee and marries both Peggy Mitchell in Baldwin County, Georgia, in 1813, and Tabitha Brooks, in Monroe County, Alabama in 1825. ...and look in Joel Hardee's children and grandchildren. Is that an Amanda and a Lucy I see? I know Peggy Mitchell and Tabitha Brooks are kin... just as sure as I'm sitting in this chair!

Now - this is what I need... I need somebody with the last name of Mitchell... born in the 1780s - probably... with daughters named Rebecca, Lucy Amanda, and Margaret/Martha/Peggy... they need to live in - or near - Baldwin County, in the early 1800s... and it wouldn't hurt if they were from Chatham County, NC, and/or Edgefield County, SC.

...and I'll tell you something else... that James Sawyer Brooks who married Ann Knight and his son, who married Mary Ann Driver... they're mixed up in this some kind of way too... They lived in Midway and if Tabitha's line didn't keep using the name Sawyer, I'll eat my hat!

Somebody else needs to try looking at all of this with fresh eyes. I'm probably looking right at the solution but, because I've been "on the hunt" for so many years, I can't see what's right in front of me.

No comments: